Saturday, November 20, 2010

Going slow and loving it!


I have been back at training for a few weeks now and I have already seen some big improvements. We pinpointed a while back that my aerobic system is massively underdeveloped and the testing in AZ proved this. So, the goal for the past few weeks has been to go slow, keeping everything (I mean everything) aerobic, and to get my body utilizing more fat as a fuel source by being specific with my diet. Even in the pool at masters I am holding back and just swimming steady aerobic instead of ripping off fast intervals with the group. The crazy thing is that my body is already adapting and I am noticing some big changes taking place. I am lucky in that my body responds very quickly to the training stress it's getting so in just a short time I am seeing the benefits of the new plan. This has also given me a lot of motivation and I can honestly say I am enjoying training more than I ever have. It's a comforting feeling knowing that there aren't any races in the near future and I have plenty of time to just focus on my weaknesses. I am waking up excited to get out the door to train and, truthfully, I haven't felt this for a long time.
I am also 100% healthy which is more then motivating, it's inspiring passion, desire, and happiness. In some ways it feels a bit early to be out there logging the miles but, like I said before, my aerobic system is way underdeveloped so I need a lot of time to go slow and develop it. Plus, I am really enjoying the whole process of improvement so I am just rolling with it and not thinking too far ahead.


I am also very focused on strength since this is also a weakness of mine. So, I, along with a good crew, am putting in some serious sessions at Rehab United. The stuff we are doing is soooooo good...we are developing sport specific strength but also doing a lot to help prevent injury. There is no doubt that we are all getting stronger and build a good foundation for 2011.

So, that's the news from here. A few more days in S.D. and then we are up to SLO for 5 days to celebrate Thanksgiving. Can't wait to get up there to enjoy some training on my favorite roads/trails and to do some wine tasting, eating, etc with friends and family. Oh, and maybe some more super secret brewery tours at firestone where we can taste the foam =)

I leave you with this....

1 comment:

Ryan D said...

Good stuff man, great post. Awesome to read about you 'having the stoke' again. Honestly, it's been something that's been missing in my world for a while too. Going through months of rehab can really take it's toll on you when things aren't working, but i'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Enjoy the aerobic miles, and i'm glad to see they are working for you. I am the same way!