Another week of training is in the bag. Since we are now 3 weeks out from the first Xterra race of the season (Vegas)the intensity has kicked up and volume has dropped a bit. I have done a lot of volume so far, starting in November, so we are backing off a bit to get more race (Xterra) specific intensity in and then after Xterra, Waco we will readdress some volume in prep for Ironman St. George. I think it's a good plan and will work really well.
So, here is the race schedule for 2011...
1. Super Seal Olympic--San Diego, March 27th
2. Xterra Renegade--L.A., April 2nd
3. Xterra West Champs--Vegas, April 10th
4, Xterra South Central Champs--Waco, TX April 17th
5. Ironman St. George--Utah, May 7th
6. Xterra Pacific Champs--Santa Cruz, CA May 15th (Quite certain I won't be able to walk after IM but I have to see this course...basically where I grew up and have tons of friends up there. BTW, thanks Xterra for putting that race there when I leave and taking Temecula off the schedule when I move down to S.D.!!)
7. Xterra South East Champs--Pelham, AL May 22nd
8. Xterra East Champs--Richmond, VA June 13th
9. Xterra Austria--June 25th (2 week stint in Europe after Richmond)
10. Xterra Mountain Champs or 70.3 Racine or just training??
11. Xterra National Champs--Ogden, UT Sept 24th
12. Kona (Hopefully!)
13. Xterra World Champs--Maui, Oct 23rd
So, that's it...lots on the plate but all exciting. The front end of the year is loaded up for sure but nothing I can really do about that since Xterra is "boss." The first two races are pure practice races just to get in some race intensity. So, no stress, just go hard and log a good workout. Similar to this weekend where did the tri club race....got in some intensity on top of a solid week. Things are still going really well and I just can't believe the season is already upon us...crazy!
It's crunch time now :)