Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The mental battle....

Since getting back from Texas I would say I have struggled a bit to find motivation and happiness with my training.  I still have a strong desire to race but I feel like I have been constantly held back by injury (one thing after another) so I have let my frustrations get the better of me.  The good news is the leg is better and I have started back with some light running.  The goal now is to build up slowly and stay on top of it so it doesn't get reinjured.  Of course, this means I won't really have any fitness gains heading into Bama and Richmond but I need to be happy that I am actually able to run consistently at this point.  The main goal moving forward is to do well at Worlds in October so I have time to build up gradually.

I have a really good support network with Jess, family, Jim, Lesley, etc. and they helped me to see that I just need to take a step back and look at the big picture.  When I do this I realize that I am REALLY lucky and I just need to get back to having fun with it.  My frustrations came about b/c I felt like I had to force everything b/c races are fast approaching and everyday counts.  When you are injured you just can't force anything but in my mind I felt I had to b/c time is limited.  Well, it is limited for the next two races but in looking at the big picture these races are just stepping stones.  The thing is I just need to stay consistent, stay healthy and, if I can do this, I think my best performances are still to come.

Texas was very odd for me...I had breathing issues and they really affected me.  When I got back from Texas they continued and it has affected my workouts.  This of course led to more frustration...I was getting so pissed b/c I couldn't even train properly and, like I said, in my mind time is limited. I was getting worked up about it and it led to stress.  I started working with Dr. Martinez to get a handle on my breathing issues.  My allergies are really bad this year and I have noticed it especially when I am out on the trails...I usually breakout in a rash all over my body, which is unusual. We are trying high dose fish oil and we have doubled my allergy medicine.  He said that studies have indicated that high dose fish oil (3 grams per day) eliminated asthma symptoms in 50% of athletes.  I will also be getting an inhaler to get the "quick fix" so that I can train and race without issues.

So, I think we have turned the corner regarding the major issues.  Now I just need to get my head on straight and focus on training/racing hard through Richmond.  After Richmond I will take a little break and then get back to base/strength building mode.  It is truly amazing how much attitude plays a role in everything.  In the past week I have been constantly reminded of this....particularly from Jim.  At Vegas I was just happy to be there racing but I lost some of that happiness b/c I became so shortsighted and forgot where I came from and where I am going.  I am very lucky and I don't want to lose sight of this.

With all my frustrations, I decided to take a "step" back this weekend and just hungout with Jess, family and friends. I did very little training and it felt good. I came out of the weekend focused and happy, which was the goal.
--FYI--the new pizza port in OB rocks!


A little rest goes a long way with me so I naturally had a solid day of training yesterday.  I am fit in the water and my bike fitness is coming along.  Last week I did have a couple good sessions despite being a bit "off." I swam a set with Lesley and Mitch (7x75 +100).  Swam the 75's in :43 sec and swam the 100 in :58 sec off the wall.  Seriously, I have never swam this fast and I just need to carry it over to openwater on raceday. Tonight is a solid openwater swim workout so this will be good prep.  This Saturday I am doing a local mountain bike race and this will no doubt give me some good fitness for Bama and Richmond.



Well, that is it from here.  Thanks to everyone for their support.  It is easy to get off track and forget about how great life is....good thing friend and family are always there to put things into perspective.

4 comments:

Marie said...

It's all about attitude and the journey. Keep your dreams alive - you have so much to be thankful for and tons of friends and family behind you.

jameson said...

you'll bounce back dude... looking forward to racing with you this weekend.

no changing tires the morning of the race!

Ryan Weeger said...

I really liked this post, youll turn the corner for sure, or keep turning. Back in action soon and you'll be dominating.

Ryan D said...

dude, i needed to read this.

best of luck man, and keep the good mindset (something I should tell myself).