Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Some harder training...

Well, I have a few harder workouts under my belt now and I can really tell how much more rest is needed to recover from these harder efforts. I am not going crazy hard but some cruise intervals running coupled with some harder swimming has made me pretty tired. These workouts will get easier to handle but it just shows me how important it is to build adequate rest into your weekly plan.
For the rest of the week I will be doing my weekly trainer workouts, two more masters workouts and on the weekend a long ride, tranisiton run, and long run. Mixed in will be some easy training used as recovery. So, still plenty of work to do this week but I am really enjoying the training, which is number 1 in my book!
I am also swimming pretty well and I expect some fitness jumps in the coming weeks. We did a set yesterday to break up the same old free-style sets, which was good in a lot of respects.
Main Set...
-8x200 on 3:15 (first 4 were free with the 2nd and 4th 50 back, last 4 were 50 free/100back/50 free). Focus on building the back stroke with quick turnover. Swam 2:40-2:45 at a moderate effort (it takes me forever to warmup, which needs to change for triathlon purposes as we rarely get a really long warmup in the water before the gun goes off)
-6x100 on 1:45 (25 back, 50 free, 25 back). fast. Swam 1:13-1:14.
-3x50 on 1:00 (25 free sprint, 25 back). Held 33's

This was a good set b/c to swim fast backstroke you need to kick so when you roll over to swim free you immediately have a faster, more consistent kick. A lot of triathletes don't swim stroke but it is good in terms of developing flexibility, feel for the water, power/strength, and it gives you a bit of a mental break but still requires you to swim hard (If the send off's are set correctly).
Well, have a good day and thanks for reading!

1 comment:

jameson said...

I think these trainer workouts are going to be the death of me!!! Keep it up man we are going to have an awesome summer!!!