Sunday, September 9, 2007

We'll just act like that didn't happen....

I have always loved the Pacific Grove Triathlon b/c it is my hometown race and all of my friends and family come out and I get to spend quality time with them. With so many people watching I always want to do well but you can't be in peak shape all year and my big races come in October.

The bottom line is that I was flat all day and I suffered from stomach problems so we will just act like this years race didn't even happen. I had a great time with friends and family but raced very poorly. I wouldn't even really call it a race...just a day of exercise really.

There are three things that I think went wrong for me...

1. I don't think I have fully recovered from my altitude training camp...it takes about 10 days to get back to normal so you feel flat and unable to really get after it.
2. I don't think breakfast sat well. Reto and I both ate the same thing for breakfast and both had stomach issues.
3. I normally take a carbo loading drink the day prior to competition and I haven't had any problems with it for the past 5 races but I am thinking it left me bloated and full.

Reto and I both had poor races and we both trained at altitude and we both consumed the exact same thing so I think it is safe to say that these three things led to "flat" days.

Overall, I am disappointed in my performance but my disappointment was overshadowed by fun with friends and family.
So, it is on to prep for xterra nationals and world's...these are the races that really matter.
I will post some pics later so stay tuned.

No comments: