Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Day 3

First of all, I slept like a champ last night. I was so tired last night b/c I had to be up early two days in a row and, plus, I spent the whole day training. So, in true rockstar fashion I hit the sack at something like 8:15. I ignored the alarm for masters and slept until 7:45...some solid hours and it felt great. I spent the rest of the morning doing some work and then went to noon masters at Stanford.


Again, a serious slap in the face...warmup, 3x50's all-out for time, then 2 rounds of 3x100 base -5, 100 base +20, 2x100 base -5, 100 base +20, 1x100 base -5, 100 base +20. The good thing was that I made the send off fairly easily. We pulled the second round so the send off became a nonissue. So, some hard swimming and I am much happier with my performance today then I was yesterday. Swimming long course is simply way around it. If your not swimming long course you are at a disadvantage at the start of every triathlon/open water swim you do (doesn't really apply if your a REALLY GREAT swimmer but it doesn't hurt either). So, if you can get in a 50 meter pool do it! You will be a faster swimmer b/c of it.

--My home away from home...2, 50 meter pools! This facility is awesome.

After swimming I rushed home to head out the door for my ride. I had planned a 3 hr ride but since I slept in I changed things up and set out for 2 hrs. I rode out to hwy 9 and started the 45 min climb, feeling a little unsure if it was a wise move given how cold it has been and how much snow was up top. I forged ahead and really enjoyed the climb. When I was just about at the top I saw a guy sitting on the side of the road and a bit further was a bike on the ground. I stopped to see if he needed anything and when he looked at me he was covered in blood from his head/face! I stopped to help and just as I unclipped the ambulance/police came flying around the corner. They took care of it and I rode off since he was in better hands. As I rode away he said "be careful, the roads are really slippery."

So, I got to the top and changed my plans, no more riding for me b/c the temperature was only going to get dip lower and the roads were only going to get more icy. I decided to go back down the climb I just came up (the fastest way home). Nine miles later I was frozen! Seriously, my hands were so cold I was actually a bit worried (yes, I did have gloves on). I rode the last 15 minutes as hard as I could to try and get some blood flowing again. I made it back, fired up the heater, turned on the hot water in the shower and tried to get back to hurts so bad to get blood back into your hands when they are that cold. So, stupid to head into the mountains given the weather? The short answer is yes however, I got some great pics, saw and rode through some beautiful snow covered mountains, which I don't normally get to do, and in true "rocky" fashion I had to toughen up just to get home.

Now, it is time to relax before tomorrow. More training in store with another masters session, a trail run, and core/stretch cord work.


jameson said...

damn dude... i am glad i am not up there with you. hard swimming + cold riding = not fun for james!

rw said...

eye of the tiger baby! looks like you are having some fun at my casa ;) next time, i recommend wearing some proper skinfit gear when riding in cold temperatures. i can hook you up with the skinfit guys they are awesome ;) move trev, the shelves are full of inventory and you head up there without enough FUNCTIONAL clothing...amateur! just kidding. feel free to use my red windblock jacket or the old saeco one, they are in the closet

runninggunner said...

Sounds like a crazy ride. Good idea to turn around. Bloody faces are no fun.

Pedal Circles said...

Awesome! We have some snow locally all over the foothills. I didn't bring a camera, so I'll probably miss most of it.

Ryan Denner said...

dude - weather was gnarly!

nice pic in the previous post too!